Missing teeth can cause many health problems and leave you feeling like a part of your smile and identity are missing too. Greater Michigan Oral Surgeons & Dental Implant Center in Owosso, MI, offers several tooth replacement options to help more patients achieve a happier, healthier smile.
A dental implant is made of three parts: a titanium implant post, a connecting abutment, and a custom-made crown. Dental implants are the only replacement teeth that maintain integrity of the jaw bone, keeping facial structures balanced and promoting healthy gums. Temporary or removable appliances may look aesthetically pleasing, but they do not actively work to improve and maintain good oral health.
Patients often find removable dentures embarrassing. It’s an inconvenience to remove them during eating and brushing, and they can be detrimental to future oral health by not preserving the jaw bone and promoting healthy gums. Dental implants keep the jaw strong and prevent issues associated with bone and gum loss.
If you have missing or failing teeth, you’ve come to the right place. Our team of oral surgeons are specially trained in implant placement, anesthesia administration, and ensuring every patient has a comfortable and beneficial oral surgery experience.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Choosing to replace a missing or failing tooth will restore confidence in your smile and provide many health benefits. Besides restoring aesthetics, dental implants offer the same benefits as natural teeth do to improve your oral health. These benefits include:
- Longevity. Dental implants can replace a single missing tooth, multiple missing teeth, or support an entire permanent denture through full-arch restoration. With proper care, a dental implant can last a lifetime.
- Aesthetics. The crown is specially designed to match the size, shape, and color of your other teeth, making the implant indistinguishable from natural teeth. Many people can’t tell which tooth is the implant, and you can enjoy the health benefits of your dental implant while maintaining a complete smile.
- Health. The implant post stimulates the jaw bone during chewing, just like a natural tooth root. This keeps the jaw strong and healthy and prevents it from deteriorating. A weakened jaw can cause facial features to sag or other teeth to shift out of place. Traditional dentures sit on top of the gums and do not maintain jaw integrity, while dental implants preserve the shape of your jaw.
- Compatibility. If you are healthy enough to undergo surgical procedures, you are likely healthy enough to receive a dental implant. Patients with a weakened jaw or who have lost bone due to missing teeth can have a bone graft placed, which promotes the growth of new bone. If you’re missing all of your teeth, as few as four implant posts can support a permanent denture in one or both arches, known as a full-arch restoration.
- Simplicity. Because dental implants are designed to feel and function like a natural tooth, you care for them just like natural teeth with regular brushing, flossing, and dental visits. Keeping your implant in good shape will ensure it stays healthy and lasts for as long as possible.
Dental Implant Surgery
To begin the process, you will need to schedule a consultation appointment. Here, you will meet with one of our expert oral surgeons, who will perform an examination and 3D scans of your mouth. We will discuss your treatment and anesthesia options, as well as answer all of your questions, so you can be prepared and informed about your procedure.
During surgery, your surgeon will make a small incision in the gum tissue and place the implant post. If you need a tooth extracted, we can place the implant immediately following extraction to lessen the total number of appointments needed. If you require a bone graft, we can place it at the same time as the implant post or and have you return once the bone graft has healed to have the implant post placed.
The post will fuse with your jaw bone over the next few months. When you have fully healed, the abutment is attached and you will receive your crown from your restorative dentist.
Restore Your Smile in Owosso, MI?
The days of hiding your smile, being embarrassed of dentures, or avoiding eating your favorite foods are over. Dental implants can be your key to a healthier, happier smile that you will enjoy for a lifetime. Contact our office in Owosso, MI, today to schedule an appointment and find out if you are a candidate for dental implants.